Sweet, salty, chewy. These brownies use walnut oil for an extra depth of flavor.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2/3 cup butter, cubed
- 2 teaspoons walnut oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 2-3/4 cups bittersweet chocolate chips, divided
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of flaky salt
- Preheat your oven to 325F.
- Be sure to have a mixing bowl, saucepan, and baking pan at the ready.
- Start by filling a saucepan with the sugars, butter, walnut oil, and water. Turn on the heat and stir until the mixture comes to a boil.
- Once boiling, remove the mix from the heat. Then add in 1-3/4 cups of the chocolate chips. Stir in the chips until melted and the mixture is smooth. Let this cool slightly before moving onto the next step.
- Give your eggs a good whisking until they’re nice and frothy to incorporate air into the mixture.
- When the eggs are perfectly foamy, add in the vanilla extract.
- Next, it’s time to start adding the chocolate mix to the eggs. Be sure that the chocolate isn’t too hot; if the temperature is too high you’ll end up with scrambled eggs.
- Slowly pour the warm chocolate into the eggs while stirring until you have a consistent mix.
- In a separate bowl stir together the flour, baking soda and salt. Then add the dry ingredients to your chocolate mix. Stir gently until the mix is just combined. You want a light hand with this step to ensure your brownies are tender and fudgy—not tough.
- The last step before popping these brownies in the oven is to add in the remaining cup of chocolate chips. Fold them in until just combined.
Bake your brownies
- To prep the pan, pour a small amount of walnut oil into the pan. Optionally line the pan with parchment paper before to make the brownies easier to remove.
- After you’ve prepared your pan, add the brownie batter and sprinkle your flaky sea salt evenly over the browny mixture.
- Place your brownies into the 325F oven. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes; start checking for doneness at the 40-minute mark.
- After your brownies are done baking, let them cool in the pan on a wire rack for at least 15 minutes.
- Finish off your brownies with a dusting of confectioners’ sugar and enjoy!